A new threat tactic is being used to determine if sandbox environments are being used…
Cybercriminals behind mobile phishing attacks have now changed their tactics while targeting pharmaceutical companies. Now, they are more focused on malware delivery instead of credential theft. Additionally, they are looking for critical research data related to COVID-19 vaccine from pharmaceutical companies.
Since the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic, most of the pharmaceutical companies’ employees are working from home, and that’s where cybercriminals found an opportunity to strike. They are targeting smartphones and tablets used by their employees.
- New research disclosed that in the third quarter of 2020, around 77% of mobile phishing attacks on pharmaceutical organizations were intended for delivering malware.
- In addition, 35% of the phishing attacks tried to steal credentials. Now, cybercriminals are using credential theft and malware delivery attacks together with a single phishing link.
- In early-2020, when COVID-19 was spreading globally, a spike was seen in pharmaceutical mobile phishing attacks, from 7.06% in Q4 2019 to 15.26% in Q1 2020.
- The reason for targeting mobile devices is that a well-crafted attack is very hard to spot on mobile devices. Mobile has smaller screens, simple user interface, and people exercise less caution when it comes to mobile.
Phishing attacks delivering malware have become common among cybercriminals and used very frequently for various malicious purposes. Cybercriminals are targeting devices such as smartphones to deliver malware via phishing attacks. Thus, experts suggest having an up-to-date operating system, a reliable anti-malware application, and providing training to employees working from home to identify such phishing attacks.
It’s advised beefing up security awareness training to help users be aware of the potential dangers around mobile phishing. Users need to understand the dangers and potential costs of acting on the content of these attacks.
With thanks to the Cyber Defence Alliance and Cyware. The full story is here: https://cyware.com/news/mobile-phishing-attacks-now-focusing-on-malware-delivery-387df689/?web_view=true
Free Phishing Security Test
Would your users fall for convincing phishing attacks? Take the first step now and find out before the bad guys do. Plus, see how you stack up against your peers with phishing Industry Benchmarks. The Phish-prone percentage is usually higher than you expect and is great ammo to get budget.
Here’s how it works:
- Immediately start your test for up to 100 users (no need to talk to anyone)
- Select from 20+ languages and customize the phishing test template based on your environment
- Choose the landing page your users see after they click
- Show users which red flags they missed, or a 404 page
- Get a PDF emailed to you in 24 hours with your Phish-prone % and charts to share with management
- See how your organization compares to others in your industry
PS: Don’t like to click on redirected buttons? Cut & Paste this link in your browser: https://info.knowbe4.com/phishing-security-test-partner?partnerid=001a000001lWEoJAAW