The latest Phishing Activity Trends Report from the Anti-Phishing Working Group (APWG) shows an unrelenting upward trend in the number of phishing attacks per quarter.
Despite the alarm that the growth in the number of phishing attacks should generate, this report sheds some light on what seems to be working for cybercriminals if you dig a little deeper. According to the report:
- The number of unique email subjects increased by 99.2%, totaling over 250,000 in Q4
- The number of brands impersonated decreased slightly by 4% to 1780
- The number of unique phishing websites increased slightly by 6% to just over 1.3 million
In essence, it appears that more unique campaigns is the answer – after all, there are only so many brands that have a broad appeal. It is interesting to see that the number of phishing websites is not increasing with the unique email subjects, although the “unique” email subjects may simply be variations on a theme aimed at using the same phishing website to capture credentials, banking details, etc.
The scarier part of this report is that 150% continual growth.
This growth is a mix of new threat actors getting into the game, improvements in the “as a service” of just about every facet of cyber attacks, and the fact that successful attacks are also increasing in numbers.
Organizations need to prevent these attacks before they truly start. And with the seemingly never ending growth in phishing attacks, telling you to implement Security Awareness Training is sound advice.
Free Phishing Security Test
Would your users fall for convincing phishing attacks? Take the first step now and find out before bad actors do. Plus, see how you stack up against your peers with phishing Industry Benchmarks. The Phish-prone percentage is usually higher than you expect and is great ammo to get budget.
Here’s how it works:
- Immediately start your test for up to 100 users (no need to talk to anyone)
- Select from 20+ languages and customize the phishing test template based on your environment
- Choose the landing page your users see after they click
- Show users which red flags they missed, or a 404 page
- Get a PDF emailed to you in 24 hours with your Phish-prone % and charts to share with management
- See how your organization compares to others in your industry
PS: Don’t like to click on redirected buttons? Cut & Paste this link in your browser: https://info.knowbe4.com/phishing-security-test-partner?partnerid=001a000001lWEoJAAW